FIRST THINGS FIRST:
5/16: B3! Book Club: Your Leadership Edge (rsvp)
5/23: B3! Webinar: The Open Discussion Project and Bridging the Divide (rsvp)
5/24: Webinar: How to Pitch Your Store to Publicists (rsvp)
Important and useful links:
#SIBA18 Discovery Show
Coming up on Lady Banks' Pick of the Week
The current Southern Indie Bestsellers (PDF): HC | PB | Kids
Bookseller Benefits Package ||
The Booksellers' WaterCooler ||
A YEAR IN PROFITABILITY
ABA CEO Oren Teicher and Senior Strategy Officer Dan Cullen presented "A Year of Profitability" at the SIBA Spring Forum in March. The forum was hosted by Flyleaf owner Jamie Fiocco, Vice President/Secretary on the ABA's Board of Directors. Oren and Dan took turns presenting recommendations for scheduling bookseller tasks and strategy on a quarterly basis. Items discussed: routine operations, industry events, literary awards, marketing, finances, and holidays & celebrations. The large gathering of booksellers, mostly from North Carolina, had opportunities to ask questions, and offer their own suggestions on how they schedule their inventory, returns, marketing plans, and more. Thoughtful host Jamie Fiocco brought in delicious coffee, sandwiches, and cookies from a nearby indie business for the lunch break.
For those who couldn't make the forum, here's a link to the ABA's powerpoint presentation, which covers the heart of the presentation. When the flyer handed out during the presentation becomes available, we'll send out another alert and add to our Peer Brain Trust. Both will be under "Business Resources." Happy Planning!
MAKE YOUR MARK AT #SIBA18
A call for Bookstore Branded Bookmarks and Swag
The theme of this year's Discovery Show is "Make Your Mark," with an emphasis on the many ways bookstores can brand themselves and become icons in their own communities and in the industry. To that end, SIBA is going to feature bookstore-branded merchandise in an exhibit at the show, and we'd like to incorporate your store-branded bookmarks into show materials.
So here's what we'd like to have from stores:
1) Store Bookmarks. These will be featured in the show directory in other show materials. Stores can provide either electronic files or actually send the printed bookmarks, or both. Electronic files should be sent to firstname.lastname@example.org. Any pdf or high resolution image format is fine. Print materials should be sent to:
Make Your Mark at SIBA
c/o Nicki Leone
718 Hughes Rd.
Hampstead, NC 28443
2) Store Swag. SIBA will have a display of store-branded merchandise in the Exhibit hall during the show, so now is the time to let your store shine. If you are interested in having your store swag featured contact Linda-Marie at email@example.com. Bookmarks, coffee mugs, tote bags, t-shirts, bags of coffee, buttons, magnets, aprons, tea towels. . .the sky's the limit.
GALLEYS & GIVEAWAYS IS GETTING AN UPGRADE!
Beginning in May, SIBA will no longer be sending out our "Galleys & Giveaways" as a separate monthly email alert. Instead, listings will be incorporated into our weekly "In the Land of SIBA" newsletter for booksellers.
- SIBA has received an uptick in Galleys & Giveaways listings that can no longer be accomodated in a single monthly email. By including them in our weekly newsletter, we now have four weeks for listings, instead of one.
- Booksellers have requested fewer, higher-quailty emails from SIBA
- With weekly emails, publishers have greater flexibility in placing their listings. They'll be able to time their listing to their promotion schedule and booksellers' own preferences.
- Galleys & Giveaways will also appear on SIBA's blog, so booksellers have more time to request review copies.
THE BOOKS YOUR COLLEAGUES ARE TALKING ABOUT
Submitted this week on Edelweiss+ using the "send to SIBA" option. Thanks to Avid Bookshop, Bookmiser, The Book Stop, Bookmarks, The Country Bookshop, Fiction Addiction, Fountain Bookstore, Malaprop's Bookstore/Cafe, McIntyre's Books, Quail Ridge Books, and Hooray for Books.
9780525520375 There There 6/5/2018
"Filled with humor, sweetness, and rage"
9781250175366 Do Not Lick This Book 6/5/2018
"This delightfully disgusting book will not only have kids learning about the microbes that live on all of us, but actually transferring them around their own bodies!! Brilliant!"
9780316515283 Rule 9/11/2018
"This book has a real "edge of my seat" quality as that's where I was through the entire thing."
9780525522775 Ghosted 7/24/2018
"I can't remember the last time I actually said out loud, "Well, I didn't see THAT coming" while reading a book."
9780525522119 My Year of Rest and Relaxation 7/10/2018
"Her characters are 80 percent train-wreck, 20 percent asshole, but the story, taken in whole, is a brilliant critique of our society's refusal to accept and inability to process grief."
More bookseller reviews
If your store does not have an Edelweiss+ account and need help setting one up, contact Linda-Marie
In the last issue: Press Kits and Social Media Clout
Is your membership current?
Your name: @@first_name@@ @@last_name@@
Your store: @@employer@@
Your member type (store/staff): @@member_type@@
Your membership expiration: @@membership_exp_date@@ *
Your B3! Credit: ##B3TOTAL##
*if your member type says "staff" then your expiration date is whenever your bookstore's membership expire, and B3 credit will also be applied to the master account. Email firstname.lastname@example.org to find out how much credit your store has earned. Stores can add staff to their accounts under the "Subaccounts" link under the "Information & Settings" tab.
Renew here | Booksellers Benefits Package
Thank you for your interest in SIBA,
Southern Independent Booksellers Alliance
51 Pleasant Ridge Drive, Asheville, NC 28805
#siba18: Fall Discovery Show
Sept 13-15 THU-SAT | Tampa, FL